Date: 16 September 2021
Soon to be available on September 21! The long awaited iOS 15 update for your Apple devices (iPhones and iPods) will align with your updated way of life! This operating system release will feature new capabilities like improved notifications management, improving your moments in life, FaceTime calls, Privacy controls and more!
Notifications are getting a whole new revamp in design and how they bug you! There will be larger app icons and contact photos indication who the notifications are from. Best of all, now they can be curated into a convenient summary, reducing your endless scrolling of banners!
Now let us “Focus” on how to reduce these distractions and “Focus” more on what really matters! Seriously — iOS 15 ’s introduction of “Focus” will allow you to tailor your priorities for that specific time and place. And extension and enhancement of “Do Not Disturb”, you can now create -profiles- to really focus on different mindsets throughout your day, and choose who and what should be requiring your attention. Totally customisable to fine tune your notifications under your control. It also ensures to keep open communication to those who reach out to you by signalling your status.
FaceTime calls will be the revamp to be your first choice for video calls between groups and loved ones. A handful of new features includes;
- Portrait mode: blurred video backgrounds)
- Mic Modes: selective spatial audio microphone detection
- Grid View: see everyone equally across the screen
- Integrated links: schedule your FaceTime calls with links to anyone (even non-Apple users) and have it integrated with your calendar
- SharePlay: watch together, listen together and share your screen with those on call in real time!
Now for another major feature, control your Privacy settings through the new iCloud Private Relay feature. It is not a VPN where is reroutes traffic, but it allows you to protect who gets your data when accessing a website – e.g. not your internet provider let alone Apple themselves!
Some other key feature upgrades to note:
- Quickly change text size: Control on a per-app basis via Control Centre to customise your viewing experience throughout your entire iPhone
- Separation alerts: Forgetful you? Stray far enough from your items and get an alert from another device to remind you pick them back up!
- Background sounds: Stay focused on your work, study, and even sleep through a selection of background noises.
- Text recognition in images: Easily scan, copy, paste or “Look Up” text in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari.
Feature upgrades in Applications:
- Maps: New 3D views of the city with enhanced images of buildings, pedestrian crossings, directions and more!
- Wallet: Will become the central hub for the digital keys in your life. It can store ID cards and keys to your home, hotel, office, or even car!
- Weather: beautiful graphical displays making weather more exciting than ever
- Safari: Customisable Start Pages, one hand easy-to-reach controls and tab groups making it easier to surf and save tabs and share to other devices linked to your iCloud account
We would like to wish all our customers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We will be taking a short break ourselves and restricted trading hours over the festive period. We would also like to remind everyone to backup their files. This time of year people take lots of photos and look back over photos from previous years. Backups are becoming increasingly more important with new and encrypted hard drives.
Christmas and New Year Trading
We will be closed from Christmas eve through New Years Day, returning on the 2nd January
Black Friday in Australia.
The Black Friday fires of 13 January 1939, in Victoria, Australia, were considered one of the worst natural bushfires (wildfires) in the world, and certainly the single worst in Australian history as a measure of land affected. Almost 20,000 km² (4,942,000 acres, 2,000,000 ha) of land was burnt, 71 people died and several towns were entirely destroyed. Over 1,300 homes and 69 sawmills were burnt and a total of 3,700 buildings were destroyed. It was calculated that three quarters of the State of Victoria was directly or indirectly affected by the disaster. Considered in terms of both loss of property and loss of life, the 1939 fires were one of the worst disasters to have occurred in Australia and certainly the worst bushfire up to that time. Only the subsequent Ash Wednesday bushfires in 1983 and the Black Saturday bushfires in 2009 have resulted in more deaths. In terms of the total area burnt, the Black Friday fires are the second largest, burning 2 million hectares, with the Black Thursday fires of 1851 having burnt an estimated 5 million hectares.
Please remember this as the phrase Black Friday now seems to reference a sales event here instead, as it does in the United States.
Black Friday in The United States.
In the United States, Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season and Apple runs a One Day Sale. Unfortunately the “Black Friday” sales are gaining popularity in Australia as well so despite the name, Geekworks will match or better Apple one day specials for this day stock allowing.
We have now moved to our new store with far better parking available. Our new address from the 15th July 2019 is 412 Old Cleveland Road, Coorparoo 4151 (Corner of Old Cleveland Road and Bennets Road)
watchOS 4.3.2 Software for Apple Watch
Apple today released watchOS 4.3.2, a small update to the watchOS 4 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 4.3.2 is a minor update and follows about a month after 4.3.1.
watchOS 4.3.2 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General –> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.